In today’s episode of Backpacker Radio, I am joined by recent Western States 100 winner, Clare Gallagher. Not only is she a world-class ultra runner, she’s also a very vocal and passionate environmental activist, Princeton graduate, Patagonia athlete, and all around powerhouse. She shares how she was able to pull off the most important victory in her young ultra running career, the two weeks she spent hanging out with Tommy Caldwell in the arctic leading up the race, all the while doing everything she can to save the world. Literally. I touch briefly on my hike of the Oregon Coast Trail, we have a trail propaganda featuring how to thru-hike as a petite woman, and much more.
Featured image taken by Austin Siadak.
Subjects discussed in the episode include:
- Use code “TREK15” at GossamerGear.com to save 15%
- Sawyer Permethrin
- Use code “Trek10” at Greenbelly.co
- Running Your First Ultra: Customizable Training Plans for Your First 50K to 100-mile Race by Krissy Moehl
- Leadville 100
- Ultra-Trail Du Mont-Blanc
- Western States 100
- Call them!
- Andrew Skurka episode
- FKT for the Joshua Tree Traverse
- Speak up in opposition to H.R. 1146
- Clare Gallagher’s website
- Clare’s Instagram
- Trek Propaganda
- Song: Walking Slow by Animal Years
- Check out Trail Correspondents
- Check out Stories from the Trail
Have any praise, questions, praise, comments, praise or praise for Backpacker Radio? Reach out to [email protected].
Support us on Patreon to get bonus content.
A super big thank you to our Chuck Norris Award winner(s) from Patreon: Michael W Hinkley, S11N, Todd Cartner, Sawyer Products, and Travis Smith
A big thank you to our Cinnamon Connection Champions from Patreon: Gregory Gardner and Peter Leven
Intro music via.