The Military-Inspired Workout That Got Sam Heughan Ready for ‘SAS: Red Notice’
Directions: Complete three rounds of this three-exercise circuit, taking 45 seconds rest between rounds. Then move onto the strength portion.
- Air Bike: 15 Calories
- Pushups (with hands on dumbbell handles): 20 reps
- Bear Crawl x 20 meters
Directions: Complete the specified sets and reps for the dumbbells press with varied weight, taking 60 seconds rest between sets, then move onto the next circuit.
1. Dumbbell Bench Press (heavy weight) — 2 x 8 reps: Sit at the front end of a flat bench with a set of heavy dumbbells in each hand resting just above your knees. Lie down on the bench and position dumbbells so palms face one another. Kick your knees up to hoist the dumbbells up, arms extended shoulder-width apart. Keep your feet up on the bench so you don’t hyperextend your low back. Rotate wrists forward so palms face away from you, then lower dumbbells to chest. Exhale, then press the dumbbells, locking your arms at the top and squeezing your pecs.
2. Dumbbell Bench Press (light weight) — 3 x 25 reps
Directions: Complete three rounds of this three-move circuit, taking 45 seconds rest between rounds, then move onto the next circuit.
1. Chinups x 10 reps: Position yourself under a pullup bar. Grab it with an underhand grip, keeping hands slightly narrower than shoulder-width apart. Bend knees and cross ankles. Keeping your core engaged and back straight, pull your weight up until your chin reaches the height of the bar, directing eyes over it. Pause briefly, then return slowly back to the starting position, keeping a soft bend in arms to maintain tension.
2. Banded Pull-Apart x 20 reps: Hold the ends of a resistance band in both hands. Standing tall, bring the band to chest height with arms straight out in front of you. Spread your arms out toward your sides, which will increase the tension in the band. Continue until the band is taut against your chest, arms wide. Pause briefly, then return slowly back to the starting position.